Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Autoscopy


For this project, I really wanted to do something that referenced an internal struggle I have that I think a lot of people can relate to. I chose to represent how I feel like society controls our decisions and how many people view their self worth. I think a lot of this negativity stems from social media, so I chose to show the puppeteer as the hand of social media. I have the puppet that social media is controlling. I wanted to also incorporate a cell phone because many people are glued to their phones and this is where we get a lot of the false standards of attractiveness and beauty from. I put my face behind the phone, but blended it in, so it looked like I was almost trapped in my phone. The swirl at the bottom is supposed to represent all the thoughts that go through my mind, how difficult it can be to navigate the rules and standards society has created. I added scissors to represent how I want to cut off the strings that tie me to social media and release me from its controls. The project took me around 3 hours to complete. I really like how it came out because I thought I represented my goal in a unique and interesting way. 

5 comments:

  1. Positive Feedback:
    1. I like the idea and how your design coveys your message!
    2. I like the colors that you used for the background to help make the other objects stand out.
    Critique
    1. I would have blended the the bottom half of the photo with the top half to create more fluidity in the photo.
    Other comments/questions:
    1. Overall it looks like a fun project and was done well! What was the hardest part about this assignment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I had fun creating this design. That is a good suggestion! The hardest part for me figuring out how I was going to convey my message in the project. When I had the idea to put my face in the phone, I was trying to decide if I should add more phone screens, but I like how it turned out!

      Delete
  2. This is such a cool concept and you did an awesome job executing it! I really like the color scheme and how you put different social medias/apps on your arm, this is a small detail that I think makes a huge difference getting your message across. Making your logo look like a tattoo is also such a cool idea. My only suggestion would be to not make the phone edges blurry, but honestly I think this turned out awesome, good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback! I really enjoyed this project.

      Delete
  3. Bailey, this is a really strong piece of work, you should be proud. Firstly, I love the background as it blends from trippy pattern to night sky. The puppeteer arm being a mix of apps is very powerful and the way you fit into the phone with your arms still in this Jesus like position. My only suggestion would be to maybe place the scissors in your hands as an act of defiance against this puppeteer you have laid out so well. Keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete