Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Propaganda Poster


For my initial portrait, I chose the picture I posted above. I wanted to do something out of the ordinary instead of making my image look exactly like me. I took inspiration from a portrait done of Marilyn Monroe on the internet. I liked how the image was broken up almost like a puzzle, and it used contrasting colors to stand out. The portrait took me about 3 hours. It was not as hard as I thought it was going to be. The eyes were the hardest part, but once I got the hang of it the rest went smoothly.

When I started working on the poster part, I wanted to incorporate a message that is relevant to now. I decided to focus on the coronavirus because it is changing life for everyone in the United States. I wanted to do something that was more on the happy side because everyone has been so down lately, and I am also smiling in my portrait. I incorporated the message about social distancing because it is something that is very important for people to do right now. I thought adding a little bit of humor to the message would help to make my message stand out and lighten the mood. I chose to do an analogous color scheme because I wanted to use contrasting colors on all ends of the color wheel. I chose pastel and bright colors to drive the message of trying to see the glass half full. The poster took me about 2 hours to complete. I am happy with how it turned out. 

4 comments:

  1. Two Compliments about the work
    -I really enjoy the color sequence that you decided to use for this project. The contrast of the different colors used really brings an interesting take to the original image that was started out from the beginning of the project.
    -I feel the details used in the final part of the project are really strong and the message aligns with a very happy and interesting take on the current situation at hand.

    Two suggestions about the work
    -I really enjoy the message at hand giving your viewer a reason to smile and be happy but one suggestion would be to blend the current color scheme you have with your character and transform that into the background.
    - Another suggestion that I have for your work would be to add in the shoulders and arms portion of your character so that would provide some depth to the person who is in the image. The character almost looks like a manikin without shoulders or arms.

    Any other comments

    What was the most difficult aspect of creating this piece?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for you suggestions! I did not think about the fact that I could have added shoulders, and I think that would have made it look better. I think the hardest part was making the portrait look like me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Two compliments about the work are
    -I really like the the color scheme that you used for the project!
    -It is definitely something different and you can tell you put hard work into it!
    -I think the message for the poster is funny and creative and is really relevant to what is going on now.
    2. Two suggestions about the work are
    -I would suggest making more of a distinction between the neck and chest area. It seems like it blends in together and creates an illusion of a long neck.
    -I think maybe changing the color scheme of the hair is a good idea. It would make the hair stand out more and not blend so much in with the colors of your face and neck.
    3. Any other ideas or comments
    -Overall, I think this project was really creative and I love the message! What was your favorite part about creating this piece?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback! If I were to do this again, I for sure would have done some more distinction between the face and neck. My favorite part was making my portrait!

      Delete